Church of Patrick
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you aren't banned yet, give us time.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

applying at a game shop

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Teddie

applying at a game shop Empty
PostSubject: applying at a game shop   applying at a game shop EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 8:36 pm

tabletop games and shit

they only take resumes so what would look really good on it

I have no tabletop experience but um I am thinking I can get the job
Back to top Go down
NotUrAvgAzn

NotUrAvgAzn

PostSubject: Re: applying at a game shop   applying at a game shop EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 10:12 pm

say you can cast a 15th level fireball as a level 3 sorcerer multiclassing as a paladin (1st level) as a daily skill power. and make sure to use as much 1337 speak as possible. also. tell them that you've gotten laid by your girlfriend. this will blow any nerds perception with the unthinkable. it's sure to get you the job.
Back to top Go down
psionicmonkey

PostSubject: Re: applying at a game shop   applying at a game shop EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 2:44 pm

I'll actually endeavor to help, instead of just doing umad

I have no idea what work experience you have had, but you should try and parlay whatever it was into something that will appeal to management at that store.

With someplace like that, they're going to want someone interested in keeping things organized. More along the lines of "This series of D&D books is kept in volume order, whereas this game is kept in order by series (Underpants Gnomes Wars before Vagina Vixens from Vavoom Saga) and then volume number". If you put the Orcs in with the Furries, awful things will happen and roleplayers will be confused as to why they are being yiffed by an Orc paladin.

So, being able to organize is important.

Having never played a tabletop game, I have no idea how much of a premium they put on actual play experience. However, I would wager MOST of the time its a lot of "fake it until you make it", and people just make up shit as they go along.

Having a decent, passing familiarity with the material certainly can help you a lot. One, you can superficially answer any question about anything ("That one lets you roleplay a superhero", or "That one is about video game players being sodomized by bears with leafblowers. Its epic, and you can choose to be the player or the bear."). Second, you will LOOK valuable, to a customer as well as management - if people are coming to you for advice, why the hell would management fire you if those questions translated into sales?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: applying at a game shop   applying at a game shop Empty

Back to top Go down

applying at a game shop
Page 1 of 1