Church of Patrick
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you aren't banned yet, give us time.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Build My Computer!

Go down 
+2
Mr_19
psionicmonkey
6 posters
AuthorMessage
psionicmonkey

Build My Computer! Empty
PostSubject: Build My Computer!   Build My Computer! EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 11:07 am

So! I have decreed that it is time for me to upgrade.

I'd like to just upgrade the mobo and processor, and further future-proof my PC.

I currently have:

Athlon 64 X2 6000+ on this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128014

6 GB of RAM (DDR 2 800, PC2 6400)

GeForce GTX 260 (896MB of RAM)

700W PSU

Vista 64-Bit, with an upgrade to Win7 in October.

Antec 900 Case.

Since I really don't need to upgrade much (except maybe RAM, and that can be done any time down the line), I'd like to keep it roughly to the motherboard and processor. The motherboard should support some of the newer speeds that have come about for RAM, but I don't need bleeding edge.

I am hearing good things about Intels latest round of chips, but the boards and i7 processors are hideously expensive. So I guess I am either looking for something dual-core or quad-core for a processor. I also hear that Intel boards with nForce chipsets 'work' nicer with nVidia cards, rather than AMD with nForce, so (if thats true) it is something else to consider.

Budget is $400 or so.
Back to top Go down
Mr_19

Mr_19

Build My Computer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build My Computer!   Build My Computer! EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 11:13 am

I'll link this to graham, he helped me with mine.
Back to top Go down
PandaPooPs

Build My Computer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build My Computer!   Build My Computer! EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 2:33 pm

Mr_19 wrote:

lol who's GraHam your boyfriend?
Back to top Go down
Mr_19

Mr_19

Build My Computer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build My Computer!   Build My Computer! EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 8:00 pm

PandaPooPs wrote:
Mr_19 wrote:

lol who's GraHam your boyfriend?

no, toombz is.
Back to top Go down
Cocksmith

Cocksmith

Build My Computer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build My Computer!   Build My Computer! EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 8:28 pm

Mr_19 wrote:
no, toombz is.

YOU SAID I WAS YOUR ONLY LOVE. ;_;
Back to top Go down
Eak

Eak

Build My Computer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build My Computer!   Build My Computer! EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 9:25 pm

Oh boy, Oh boy, this is my kind of thread.

Phenom II 550

ASUS M4A78T-E MoBo

RAM

Now you must be think "But Eak, that is a dual core and therefore not good at all". First off, I'll rape you if you talk to me like that again. Second, the AMD Phenom II X2 and X3 are actually quad cores with the remaining cores disables. With a lot of motherboards, a simple setting in the BIOS can unlock the dormant cores and the Quad Core magical funtime happens. It's not guaranteed at all but there is a very good chance of it.

This CPU can also unlock to a quad core, but with the 550 people have had better luck and higher overclockability. But of course, if the unlocking fails, you'd be stuck with a dual core instead of a Tri-core.

Of course, to get the most out of your processor, especially AMD processors, you Will have to overclock it. there's nothing too hard about it, and there's a few easy guides floating around for when you need help.

I would not recommend buying a new video card right now. With Windows 7 around the corner, both ATI and Nvidia will be releasing new DirectX 11 cards (estimated around October). Around the you can pick up a top of the line, Last-gen card for really cheap. Take a ATI HD 4890 for example. Right now they run about $200-$250. Whenever the time comes that the new cards come out, you'll be able to get one around $150

For Gaming, Which is what i assume you'll be mostly doing with your computer, Th i7 is almost unnecessary. Sure, it will give you better performence, but for a much higher price. Also, Intel plans on replacing the i7 with the cheaper i5 core. This means that they'll also be replacing the LGA1366 socket that the i7 uses, which leaves you very little room for upgrading you processor in the upcoming years.

The AM3 socket is almost brand new. AMD plans to keep it around until at least 2011. This doesn't mean that after 2011 they'll stop making processors for the AM3 socket, but it will begin to get phased out. Much like what AMD is doing with the AM2+ socket.

The AM3 socket will be around for AMD's Bulldozer core, which is AMD's equivalent to the i7. That'll be around in a few years

Also, for gaming, 6GB of RAM is unnecessary. 4GB will do you fine.

Here's everything you need to know about unlocking your cores

So, uh yeah. there ya go.
Back to top Go down
Eak

Eak

Build My Computer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build My Computer!   Build My Computer! EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 9:37 pm

I forgo to ask what size monitor you have and the resolution you plan on playing at.
Back to top Go down
PandaPooPs

Build My Computer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build My Computer!   Build My Computer! EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 10:27 pm

Eak, don't pretend they sell computers at Ikea.
Back to top Go down
psionicmonkey

Build My Computer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build My Computer!   Build My Computer! EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 11:26 pm

Eak wrote:
I forgo to ask what size monitor you have and the resolution you plan on playing at.

Its an Acer 22 inch monitor. For some of the older games I have its 1680x1080, but TF2 is windowed and slightly lower resolution. I did that for Fallout 3, and the game just runs a little nicer for it.

I hate, with the passion of a thousand suns, 'screen tearing' just from turning.
Back to top Go down
Eak

Eak

Build My Computer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build My Computer!   Build My Computer! EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 11:28 pm

You can normally minimize tearing by turning V-Sync on. But, yeah at 1680x1080 your vidya card will be fine. Both TF2 and fallout 3 are extremely CPU limited, so you'll be able to play them at full resolution
Back to top Go down
psionicmonkey

Build My Computer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build My Computer!   Build My Computer! EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 12:05 am

How much stock should I put in to the claim that Intel-based mobos 'work' nicer with nVidia cards? Is it really the be-all, end-all noticeable kinds of difference?
Back to top Go down
Eak

Eak

Build My Computer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build My Computer!   Build My Computer! EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 4:38 am

That's mostly BS. You won't notice any difference in you video performance.

With the money left over in your budget I would suggest investing In a nice CPU cooler and some good thermal compound
Back to top Go down
psionicmonkey

Build My Computer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build My Computer!   Build My Computer! EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 9:20 pm

Eak wrote:
That's mostly BS. You won't notice any difference in you video performance.

With the money left over in your budget I would suggest investing In a nice CPU cooler and some good thermal compound

Sounds groovy. Something for me to look forward to...after I replace my car's timing belt. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Knifey

Build My Computer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build My Computer!   Build My Computer! EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 5:48 pm

amd sux lrn2computer
get a p45 with a core2 duo
currently i run a p45 with ddr3 and a q6600 oc'd to 3.6 ghz
also, my phenom failed epicly at overclocking even with watercooling
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128364
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017
get a good heatsink
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835887011
you can stick with ddr2 now and have the option to go up to ddr3 without changing mobo

also eak is wrong. 17 isnt being replaced by i5. i7 is goign to be the hihger end, i5 is going to be for poor people
Back to top Go down
Eak

Eak

Build My Computer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build My Computer!   Build My Computer! EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 8:40 pm

Knifey wrote:
amd sux lrn2computer

also, my phenom failed epicly at overclocking even with watercooling

also eak is wrong. 17 isnt being replaced by i5. i7 is goign to be the hihger end, i5 is going to be for poor people

That's because it was Phenom and not a Phenom II.

With the phenom II you'll have an AM3 motherboard, a brand new socket which leaves options for future upgrades. Going the Core 2 Duo route his only choice in upgrades will be the Core 2 Quad, which will be outdated in a few years anyway.

Intel is discontinuing the i7 965 and 970. I'm not sure what they're doing with the 975. The i5 offers nearly everything the i7 has with a cheaper price tag and cheaper motherboards.

For arguing with me you earn yourself +100 rape. Have fun.
Back to top Go down
Eak

Eak

Build My Computer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build My Computer!   Build My Computer! EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 9:16 pm

I found This combo deal from newegg and I can't pass it up. I have a system very similar to yours. 6000+, HD 4850 (one step lower that your video card).

I should be ordering it thursday along with some DDR3 from Amazon. Don't buy RAM from newegg, They'll rip you off.

I won't be overclocking or unlocking it until I get a new CPU cooler the following thursday.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Knifey

Build My Computer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build My Computer!   Build My Computer! EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 12:42 am

How does newegg rip you off on ram?
Lga775 is going to still be updated for a long time coming and id rather have an old intel than a new amd
amd are just trolls
Back to top Go down
Eak

Eak

Build My Computer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build My Computer!   Build My Computer! EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 2:52 am

Knifey wrote:
How does newegg rip you off on ram?
Lga775 is going to still be updated for a long time coming and id rather have an old intel than a new amd
amd are just trolls

Their DDR3 prices just jacked way up recently . Amazon is cheaper.

LGA 775 is a dying socket, son. Clock for Clock Phenom IIs preform the same, if not better, than Core 2s (Excluding the extreme cores). Plus, AMD is better in a price/performance aspect.

+50 Rape
Back to top Go down
Eak

Eak

Build My Computer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build My Computer!   Build My Computer! EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 1:55 am

I lied. Waiting another week to go with an X4 955 and 785G setup.
Back to top Go down
psionicmonkey

Build My Computer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build My Computer!   Build My Computer! EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 2:28 pm

Eak wrote:
Oh boy, Oh boy, this is my kind of thread.

Phenom II 550

ASUS M4A78T-E MoBo

RAM

Now you must be think "But Eak, that is a dual core and therefore not good at all". First off, I'll rape you if you talk to me like that again. Second, the AMD Phenom II X2 and X3 are actually quad cores with the remaining cores disables. With a lot of motherboards, a simple setting in the BIOS can unlock the dormant cores and the Quad Core magical funtime happens. It's not guaranteed at all but there is a very good chance of it.

Here's everything you need to know about unlocking your cores

FAR be it for me to doubt your wisdom in this regard, but one question occurs.

If the processor you recommend stands at 3.1 GHz a core, am I correct in the assumption that, if I successfully unlock the other two cores, those will also be the same speed?

Some are probably going to laugh, but I freely admit I know virtually nothing about that kind of thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Build My Computer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build My Computer!   Build My Computer! Empty

Back to top Go down

Build My Computer!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Church of Patrick :: Clan :: Srs Bsns.-
Jump to: